Friday, October 29, 2010

Week 9 Assignment


For this assignment I have learned a lot about podcasting that I did not know. I heard about podcasting but really didn’t have any idea about what exactly it was or what it did. I learned that everyone can publish a podcast of their own using the internet.  Podcasts are useful for people on the move a lot because they can download the information from the internet on to an I pod or MP3 player and listen to it while being away from a computer.

Podcasting is similar to Web 2.0 in ways in that they can both be posted on the internet by anyone and others can upload it or read it on the computer. Both of these can be very useful in today’s classrooms because of our advances in technology. I think that we need to take advantage of these things and really start to use them in our classes. Podcasting and Web 2.0 differ because using podcasting you are given the chance to download it to a MP3 player or I pod and listen to it while not actually being at the computer.

I guess most people will probably say I am not up to date but I currently do not own a I-pod or a MP3 player and I probably will not every buy one. If I did have one I would probably only use it to listen to music. I probably would not use it in my classroom because I am going to be teaching P.E. and I think that it would be a distraction in the classroom. While most of the kids might be listening to what there suppose to be listening to others would abuse this and listen to their own thing which would get them off task. Some advantages to using online tools would be that its easy to remember what the teacher says because they can just listen to it over again using the internet. A disadvantage of this would be lets say u allow students to record your lecture. This is good but you are going to have some students playing games on their I pod or listen to music during your lecture. It will be hard to manage the use of I pods in your classroom.

Reference:
Podcasting in English. You Tube video. Posted on E college (TAMU- Commerce). 2010

Jonassen, David. Meaningful Learning with Technology. Third Edition.Pgs 159-161.

3 comments:

  1. After reading your blog, i felt like you made some valid points and it got me thinking about students mis using their time to listen to podcasts, or teaching classes that are very interactive. I think these are good points to bring up and it helped me think about some of the obstacles. However, in a way it also helped me to start brainstorming ways to overcome these types of issues.

    I by no means think that the social media tools we are reviewing are valid tools for every lesson in every classroom, but I do think they are fantastic to use a supplement to the way we already teach. It also allows students to have a broader avenue of ways to intake the lesson. I have gathered so many ideas for future use in the classroom from these lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually do own a ipod and i do only use it for music and now games but now knowing what the podcasts are i think that i am going to start using them...Shea Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the podcast would be a great way to record lectures, but they would probably get distracted and use it to play games. I do own an ipod but have never used the podcast.

    ReplyDelete